Saturday, November 22, 2008

Learn and play at an end?

This is my last official post for learn and play. I will cover some Q and A, and then leave any final thoughts. I hope to keep up a blog about various things, and i will have time to actually reflect on my personal life now that I will be done with school in a few weeks.

What were your favorite discoveries or exercises on this learning journey?
I discovered a lot through this program. There is a Web 2.0 app for almost everything out there. I can't wait to compile sites for Delicious, explore and upload pictures on Flickr, and read many more way too amusing blogs through my RSS aggregator.

How has this program assisted or affected your lifelong learning goals? I will continue to peruse the Internet for more handy sites. I just learned about some reader's advisory sites that are like Pandora only for books (and one for movies) that i want to try on my own time. My computer sites will be more organized, and hopefully so am I. I also want to look into starting an online business, so knowing what is out there, or how to look for it will be a big help.

Were there any take-aways or unexpected outcomes from this program that surprised you?
I was unaware of the variety and creativity of the free programs available on the web. i never really read blogs before, but now i have found some with great information or inspiration. The computer has become an even more important tool for me now.

What could we do differently to improve upon this program’s format or concept?
There seemed like a lot of stuff to go over and some of it was redundant. Some things we wrote multiple blogs about (like wikis), but there was not much more to say about them: it should have been one "thing". i appreciated the extra time as being a 20 hour staffer, I barely had time to get this done with my other duties too. Blogging about everything seemed like a bit much too. If you contributed to the library's wiki site, than that should have counted for the "thing", instead of having to blog about it as well. Overall though a very good and helpful program.

If we offered another discovery program like this in the future, would you again chose to participate? I would love to participate again. i think some of these things should be mandatory to know, especially for staff who work in reference or tech. If you can not navigate MOLDI, then that is not good customer service. I think these programs enhance the person and their skills to help others, become more efficient etc. i always look for ways to improve myself, so i would do this again.

Our branch has started its own wiki with important info, and fun stuff too. I think we have gotten to know each other better, which contributes to better team work and relationships within the branch, and throughout CML. I think this will continue and congratulate CML for hosting such a successful program. i hope other's that did not complete the program now, still explore some of these things [ I am happy to help :)], to see how technology can help them. Kudos.

No comments: